Is Glucose Oxidase a sugar?
* No, it’s an enzyme!
* BioXtra products contain the components needed to recreate the
Salivary Peroxidase System in dry mouths.
* The Salivary Peroxidase System needs the following components in
order to be active:
salivary peroxidase, thiocyanate, hydrogen peroxide and oxygen.
Glucose oxidase is an enzyme which converts glucose to hydrogen
peroxide, an essential element of the Salivary Peroxidase System
Is Sorbitol a sugar?
* No. Sorbitol is a naturally occurring sweetener used in drinks and
confectionery in place of sugar (sucrose). It is a non-active ingredient in
BioXtra products and is used as a binding agent
Can the ingestion of Sorbitol cause diarrhoea?
* Large quantities of Sorbitol have been shown to cause diarrhoea, but
to have this effect it is necessary to ingest 20 - 50gm per day.
Why does BioXtra toothpaste contain Glucose?
* BioXtra toothpaste has been scientifically formulated to include all the
elements necessary to ensure the Salivary Peroxidase System is active
in the mouth of dry mouth sufferers.
* One essential component of the Salivary Peroxidase System is
hydrogen peroxide which is secreted by oral bacteria.
* To be sure that the complete Salivary Peroxidase System is present in
the products - including hydrogen peroxide - minute amounts of glucose
oxidase and glucose are needed in the formulation.
* Glucose is made up of alpha D and beta D glucose molecules in equal
balance with each other.
* In BioXtra® toothpaste the glucose oxidase gradually transforms the
beta D glucose molecules to produce the essential hydrogen peroxide.
* In order to maintain an equilibrium between the alpha D glucose and
the beta D glucose, as the quantities of beta D are broken down by
glucose oxidase, alpha D is converted to beta D, thus maintaining an
* Glucose oxidase again converts the newly-formed beta D glucose and
the cycle continues in the mouth, helping to maintain the Salivary
NB: The amount of glucose in the products is minimal - 2.5mg per 1gr -
equivalent to about one crystal of sugar. The formulation ensures all the
glucose is completely used up by glucose oxidase to produce hydrogen
The average weight of a cube of sugar is 4.2gm - 2.5mg equates to less
than 0.1% of a sugar cube.
A similar, but less effective, formulation has been used regularly in the
US and other countries for the last 10 years without any known reports
of adverse effects with respect to the glucose content.
Candida albicans (oral thrush)
Do the products have an effect on Candida?
* Where Candida overgrowth is already present in the mouth BioXtra
products are not a suitable treatment. However, BioXtra products can
be safely used in conjunction with Candida treatments.
* Used regularly, the products may help to inhibit the growth of Candida
in helping to keep the oral environment balanced.
What is Xylitol and is it true that Xylitol has a beneficial effect?
* Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener found in berries, fruits and
mushrooms. It also occurs in small quantities in the human body.
* Xylitol is useful and suitable in dental products because bacteria are
not able to metabolise it. It is therefore non-cariogenic (does not
promote the development of dental caries).
* There is also evidence to suggest that it helps to prevent the effects of
pathogenic bacteria in the mouth
What is Lysozyme?
* Lysozyme is an enzyme, normally found in saliva, which can break
down bacteria cell walls, causing them to die. This important enzyme
can kill pathogenic bacteria without affecting healthy oral flora and thus
helps to stabilise the oral environment. Lysozyme is also known to have
an anti-fungal effect [MRP1]
What is Lactoferrin?
* Lactoferrin is a salivary protein and is one of the most important
naturally occurring antimicrobial agents in the mouth. It binds with iron
molecules the bacteria would otherwise utilise for growth.
* Lactoferrin is normally secreted in the saliva and gingival fluid. It works
in conjunction with lysozyme.
* Lactoferrin is also known to have a direct bactericidal activity, binding
to the bacterial cell wall and causing cell death.
The Salivary Peroxidase System
How does it work?
* Enzymes in saliva activate a reaction between thiocyanate (a
substrate found in saliva), hydrogen peroxide (produced by bacteria in
the mouth) and oxygen.
* This reaction creates hypothiocyanite - saliva’s natural antibacterial
* Hypothiocyanite inhibits the bacteria which can lead to a deterioration
in oral health.
* In healthy mouths this continuous cycle is always present due to
saliva and it is vital for good oral health
What role do they play?
* Immunoglobulins are important proteins which are produced by the
body’s immune system.
* They are an essential defence system against bacteria, and an
important part of the body’s natural resistance to infection.
* At the first signs of infection, the body produces specific
immunoglobulins (antibodies) which directly target and attack the
responsible microorganisms present in saliva and become
activated when there is oral infection.
Why is Sodium Monofluorophosphate used in BioXtra Toothpaste and
* Studies have shown that the only fluorides compatible with enzyme
action are Sodium Monofluorophosphate and calcium fluoride.
Why is there no fluoride in the gel?
* To ensure BioXtra Moisturising Gel is completely safe to swallow and
to enable sufferers to apply BioXtra® Moisturising Gel as often as
needed, day and night.
Can the BioXtra products be used long term?
* Because BioXtra replicates the natural activity of saliva and contains
no antibiotics or other strong chemicals, it is suitable and recommended
for regular long-term use, in order to help maintain oral health.
afely used in conjunction with any prescribed
* There are more than 400 commonly used medications which canily oral hygiene programme whilst taking such medications, in order to help prevent the
short and long-term effects of dry mouth.oothpaste any different to other enzyme toothpastes?
* Other enzyme toothpastes are not able to recreate the Salivary
Peroxidase System in dry mouths.
* In healthy mouths they may assist in boosting the Salivary Peroxidase
System, but in dry mouths these products can leave a burning
sensation due to an excess production of hydrogen peroxide.
* Dry mouth sufferers cannot convert this excess hydrogen peroxide to
hypothiocyanite because there is insufficient saliva to sustain the
Salivary Peroxidase System.
* BioXtra products are unique. There is no other marketed product that
includes so many natural protective factors.
* Based on a patented formulation including salivary enzymes, proteins
plus immunoglobulins, BioXtra acts to restrict bacterial activity in a way
no other products do.
Closing the Tubes
Why should the caps be closed on the packs after use?
* The enzyme system in BioXtra products is activated by oxygen. An
open cap may cause the first few centimetres of product to be less
effective or even inactive.
* Since the mouthwash does not produce the Salivary Peroxidase
System oxygen does not have an effect on the product stability.
Is there a chance that oral bacteria could become resistant to the
No - because BioXtra products contain only natural ingredients which
work to boost and replenish the natural defence system present in
saliva, bacteria cannot become resistant because they are inhibited
rather than destroyed - just as they do not become resistant to natural
As some of the ingredients are by-products of milk could there be a
problem with BSE?
* No! The products hold a certificate of verification that the milk used is
from animals free from BSE.
Could the milk by-products cause any problems for those with milk
allergy or lactose intolerance?
* All the lipids in our whey extract have been removed, but the lactose
content remains, although it is minimal. It is technically possible that
people with a severe lactose intolerance could experience an allergic
reaction. However, it is useful to point out that, with the exception of
BioXtra gum, these are cosmetic products destined for topical
application, not nutritional products passing through the digestive
Could the flavourings cause allergies?
* BioXtra products contain mostly natural ingredients which have been
carefully selected to be gentle on sore mouths which makes them less
likely to cause allergic reactions.
* All the flavourings are essential oils including:
caraway oil, orange oil, anise oil, fennel oil, eucalyptus oil, vanilla,
spearmint oil , peppermint oil.
Why does BioXtra Mild Toothpaste not contain the foaming agent
Sodium lauryl sulphate?
* Studies indicate that, in susceptible mouths, the presence of the
foaming agent Sodium lauryl sulphate can increase the incidence of
mouth ulcers, possibly as a result of it breaking down the protective
mucin layer. In dry mouth sufferers the likelihood of ulceration is
increased and this factor can be avoided by using BioXtra Mild
Toothpaste routinely. (1)
* In laboratory tests, Sodium lauryl sulphate was also shown to inhibit
the enzyme activity in BioXtra formulations
(1) Ref: Oral mucosal desquamation caused by two toothpaste
detergents in an experimental model. Herlofson BB and Barkvoll P. Eur
J Oral Sci, 1996: 014: 21-26
Is it necessary to rinse with water after brushing the teeth with
BioXtra Mild Toothpaste?
* It is beneficial to rinse the mouth with BioXtra Alcohol-free Mouth rinse
in order to maximise the effect of the active ingredients. The mouth
rinse will help to control the production of acidity made by the bacteria
and create a neutral pH in the mouth in the same way as lactoferrin and
lysozyme act in nature.
* Where the BioXtra Alcohol-free Mouth rinse is not used, it is
recommended to rinse with a minimum amount of water in order to
allow sufficient BioXtra Mild Toothpaste to remain around the teeth and
on the gums.
What is the reason for adding colostrum?
* The colostrum in BioXtra contains a mixture of important immune and
non-immune factors and other anti-bacterial molecules which help
protect health and vitality.
* In combination, these factors can help control disease-causing
organisms in the mouth.. They can also limit the formation and
adhesion of bacteria to the mucosal surfaces, so helping avoid cell
damage and assisting the mouth’s natural healing processes
* The colostrum is prepared in our own production plant.
* The immunoglobulins contained in our formulations do not have
specificity against microorganisms. They have a cross reactivity against
oral bacteria, and enhance the activity of lactoferrin, lysozyme and the
lactoperoxidase system against suspended oral microorganisms.